View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Waves Update Plan - WUP - What’s the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
And what has been updated since then that has warranted updating WUP? Nothing.

Lots of new plugins. They've upped the cap for global WUP to $300 a while back too. I think I am missing out on a couple of plugins added to Gold that I probably wouldn't use since I haven't had a need for them to this point.

I have spent way more on their $29 deals than I ever have for WUP. 27 of my 38 plugins/bundles are out of date when it comes to WUP. The only ones that are active are purchases in the past year. Abbey Road show up individually but those update when they release a new plugin to the bundle, which they haven't since March 29 of last year (just lapsed).

That said I am considering their SoundGrid Impact server since it's the same price as the UAD box (but I am not on the UAD train). The main reason is because Abbey Road Plates is a CPU hog.
you like abbey road that much? Impact is noisy remember as it is fan powered.. But still, i'm curious about it as well.. If i generally used waves EQ and Comps, it would be great to offload 128 tracks of them to a dedicated intel chip. The thing is, I simply *almost* never end up using waves EQ's or Comps, cause there are better alternatives in every regard.. except the DPP-402 - how waves managed such a fantastic dynamics plugin still boggles me, but I am thankful for it. Yet funnily enough it's the one least talked about lol.
Even the DBX, although good, i use the softube/NI one with it's adjustable high pass which is unique in all 160 emus. But waves did pretty good on that too.
They really tarnished my opinion and their reputation with their absolutely awful CLA stuff, the comps in omni channel also awful, h-comp awful, the C1 "workhorse" that *sounds* awful, heck even old ren comp is better than a lot of them (again IMO.. have to stress that!).

Anyway sorry to go off track..

personally i don't find abbey works in a mix and to be honest i just don't like the sound of it overall.

I advise you to try a UAD satellite, they have recently almost all halved in price..they are fanless.. and they simply work.. no hoops to jump through to install or auth in any way...

I'm trying to find out how much latency waves plugins add on top of their normal latency when used via impact, but i haven't been able to.. if you find out do let us know...
The curiosity is there, simply to offload all processing from my cpu and save it all for VI's, and between impact and UAD i could almost accomplish that (some alliance plugins can be used on impact as well, even a couple sonnox i think)..
I love Alliance stuff in general with a few rare exceptions so i'll keep my eye on impact for reviews and latency.

Anyway, my post was sort of to convince you to go UAD..

I am being honest ok.. I have ripped UAD a new butt hole many times over their BS claims for zero latency on apollo, and other things, but, i have seriously, and i mean seriously done head to head with every plugin they produce with all native solutions where there is a direct comparison, and in the case where there are waves versions, sound wise, the UAD won every single time, and not by a little. My goodness, waves first did the 1073, then re issued a high cpu version where they used their all new latest modelling techniques for, with the scheps 73, and the UAD 73 mkII absolutely annihilates it (just for one example). .Even crappy youtube audio quality can show you this if you don't believe me.

So if you want top plugins, re consider UAD since a quad is the same price as impact. It will not give you impact instance counts but it is still very useful to have, believe me. The only situation where i preferred a native algorithmic (i.e non nebula convolution) plugin to a UAD version was the IK precision compressor vs the UAD 33609. The UAD is a bit, "tinnier" for want of a better word.

Another example vs waves. the LA3A.. UAD LA3A is an old, non MK2 plugin, with the tiniest gui that can barely be seen on any modern screen..
Sound wise, it absolutely crushes the waves CLA3A in every way. It just SOUNDS fantastic.. I use it non stop on every project.
And it's light as a feather on DSP..10 stereo instances uses about 20% of a quad.

PS dsp load lock on UAD is very useful and it really works.. you can actually stop any dsp being used for disabled sections of plugins.. for example if you just want to use the pre amp of the 1073 and not the EQ, or a strip and not use say the comp in it, or the expander.. It can help really maximise chip usage to the max.

Hope that helps.. i know uad backwards now, all the pitfalls, cons, AND pros, and have either demoed or bought and used every single plugin on offer extensively, so if you ever need any help please feel free to PM. Cheers

PS waves comps.. almost every single one of them suffers from rest and pop syndrome.. i.e gain reduction has finished cause playback is stopped or a blank section of audio.. when first encountering audio again the comp will POP and let a loud first transient through before it begins normal compression.
there are plenty of zero latency native compressors without look ahead, that do NOT suffer from this. Some MCDSP and 95% of waves really suffer from this. Just another example of subpar coding.