View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 08:26 PM

Default Keyboard working in Logic, but not ProTools - HUI error?

I've been using ProTools for about 5 years now, but I'm trying to dive into using a MIDI keyboard controller for the first time. There may be something obvious here I'm missing, so suggestions are welcome.

Since I'm just getting started, I bought a cheap keyboard (model #AKM320). I can open up the EastWest Play plugin just fine on an instrument track, and pluck out notes in the visual interface with the mouse. ProTools also recognizes the keyboard when I go to Setup > MIDI> MIDI Input Devices, and I can even select it under Peripherals, where I'm trying to define the type as HUI. (Which tutorials seem to indicate this device is categorized under.)

However, once I define it as an HUI device, I keep getting a "Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI" error message.

I've power cycled, restarted ProTools, and even installed the legacy MIDI drive (per recommendation on another thread.) I can even use this keyboard in LogicProX as soon as I open a software instrument track, so I don't think the issue is with my computer or the device.

I would still prefer to to use ProTools since I'm already using it to edit the project this music is for (and I'm not a fan of LogicPro's interface).

Any suggestions for where to look next?

Additional info: I am a Mac user running Sierra 10.12.1, and ProTools was fresh installed last Friday.