View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 05:26 PM

Default Re: iMac Late 2012 and Pro Tools 11 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Didn't know Apple put a 4TB spinner in their machines. I have a 2 TB drive and it's plenty big. I actually have my system drive split into two boot partitions. One is OSX 10.8.5 which came with the machine and the other is OSX 10.9.5. At one time I actually had three partitions with OSX 10.10.2 but deleted that as it was very unstable. Haven't tried the later revisions of Yosemite and wiped out that partition. I do all my work now in the Mavericks partition and it's been plenty stable with PT11.3.1. I keep the ML partition as I have a couple of programs that need it.

You could do as I did and split the system drive and have two (or more) boot partitions and try them out to see which works for you. That;s the nice thing with iLok authorization - you can use your PT anywhere and on as many boot partitions as you want but only one at a time. The only hassle is keeping up with 3rd party plugins and keeping them all updated.

Oh yeah - Apple refurbs are really good - that's what my machine is. UI think it was a build to order machine as it has options above the base build.
Very helpful information. I hadn't considered doing multiple partitions. The main hassle as you say, are the 3rd party authorizations and updates.

Going to decide here soon what to do.... Thanks!