View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 06:17 AM

Default Re: New to PT and New to MAC - General Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digg View Post
The QUESTIONS;

1. PT says that you should record and save your sessions on a separate external HD. Not the drive that your OS is on. they also have specific criteria that the drive should have...
- Can I just use a second internal HD in the Mac Pro?
- Any thoughts on the MERCURY Elite-Al Pro (Firewire 800/400, USB 2.0, eSATA) external HD from Other World Computing?

2. PT recommends in the basic user guide that you change some settings so that your computer will run PT better...
- Should I turn off the auto update feature? If so... how do you get the updates from MAC, and are there any updates I should avoid that will mess with PT?

3. This may sound stupid, but how do I get to the programs that I would use to record guitar or bass... (like Amplitube). Again, I am new to MAC and what I would like to do is plug my guitar in and hear some of the guitar plugins... are they in there????
1. MERCURY Elite-Al Pro (Firewire 800/400, USB 2.0, eSATA) external HD is a good choice. Internal drives are super EZ enough to install as well.

2. already covered

3. On the mix window, at the top, click any insert button and scroll down to plugin>harmonic and then your plug of choice. This should usually be a mono track for guitar. Sansamp is not bad...but check out the Studio Devil British Valve Custom (BVC) http://www.studiodevil.com/download/downloadBVC.htm This virtual amp blows away eleven free, amplitube, line six and most of the others for a tube tone...IMHO. And the price can't be beat.