View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 01:30 PM

Default Re: analog mixer + control surface = digital mixer

The Yamaha 01V96 is the tool you are looking for. I have one, and use it as a control surface, and audio I/O for Protools. Though you didn't say what Digi hardware you are using. If you don't have any Digi system yet, you will need to got one to use Protools. The Digi 002R is the unit that you want.

With the 01V96, you can bring 8 channels of ADAT I/O into the 002R, and four additional channels via the OMNI outs. That will give you 12 channels into Protools via the 01V96 -> 002R. Plus the four mic pres and S/PDIF on the 002R brings you to a total of 18 channels of input to Protools--the max that Digidesign currently allows.

With this set up you still have the use of the 01V96's onboard digital EQs, compressors, and effects--while recording into Protools, so it is very much like an oldschool analog mixer/outboard gear set up.

You also get the Protools control surface functionality that you want.

As well, the 01V96 sports the following features by default:

12 mic pres, 8 aux send, 8 subgroups (DCA style), on board fully parametric 4-band EQs, compressors, gates, delays, and limiters on EVERY input and output. Scene memory, motorized faders, two channels of stereo 1/4" input, 17 faders (including the master L-R), the ability to upgrade the base configuration to have up to 32 mono mic inputs. And it's relatively light, so it's not a huge hassel if you have to move it for a gig.

It's a very versatile board, and well worth the money. It is the only digital board out there that can do what it does for the price ~$2,000.

I can't recomend it enough.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One