View Single Post
Old 03-05-2001, 01:33 PM

Default 3rd party ProTools Mixer, why not?

I emailed Waves about this once. They replied to me saying that they couldn't because Digidesign hasn't opened up that market. But with enough persuasion it might happen...

There are just so many opinions in this industry that have negative things to say about the quality of mixes done in ProTools. To make matters worse, Digidesign has no public information on the specific workings of the mixer and how it crunches numbers. People have reported that other DAW's and digital mixers sound better (Paris, Sony, etc), but Digidesign really has nothing to lose by letting third parties develop their own mixer plugins for ProTools. Of course they can still charge the same amount of money for the software and hardware, and it would make the systems much more appealing to skeptics on its sound quality and versitility. More options equal safer investments.

A third party mixer in which you could control specific parameters such as dithering and quality vs efficiency would be a dream come true. With tweakable parameters it would seem that they would have to release specifics on its internal workings in a manual.

Does anyone here agree with me? Comments?