View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Anyone using large orchestra templates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodydetective View Post
Hi Dave -

Mind Control is a multi script, more or less - that’s what it does, except many conditions can be engaged, including legato playing styles, speed and so forth for switching... I think my issue may be that Kontakt really wants to have one Capsule (Berlin instrument) and not much more per instance. I was just wanting to avoid an insanely massive series of VEPro instances with fifty instances of Kontakt within. And I have just tried the same thing in Cubase with the same result - and it didn’t happen when I used Mind Control to drive 8Dio Adagio before. I really, really wish Capsule worked more like the Spitfire stuff does - I would like to be able to use a script to not pass note data unless a cc was at a certain value, but to allow all cc’s, so all of these Kontakt instances could chase the same dynamics.
I think I’ve understood! I see Mind Control is a Multi Scipt used to switch articulations within a Kontakt Instrument Bank in various clever ways and what you’re trying to do is have multiple Instrument Banks per Kontakt instance each on a different MIDI channel? In that case you not only assign conditions to select an Instrument Bank slot with a MIDI controller but also the MIDI channel of the Instrument Bank you want to address?

I see why you would want to do that but man, it’s asking a lot IMO, fiddly to set up and assumes there are no conflicts between a third party Multi Script and any individual instrument’s scripting. Plus there’s a risk that future Kontakt updates break Mind Control. Personally I’ve given up on third party Instrument Scripts in the past because they broke too often. Too many potential workflow breakers here!

If it were me, I’d bite the bullet and set up an instance of Kontakt per instrument, i.e. one instance with an Instrument Bank for Violins 1 with all the articulations loaded into an instrument bank slots, another Kontakt instance for violins 2 and so on. Then at least you know Mind Control is not conflicted between multiple Instrument Banks within one Kontakt instance which seems to be the case here.

If you did end up with one instrument per Kontakt instance you might be able to get away with the Kontakt factory Multi Script that maps MIDI controllers to program change messages. That’s assuming you don’t use any of the other functionality of Mind Control but it’s one less third party thing to break!

This sort of stuff is why I’m a keyswitch guy even though I use a lot of Spitfire stuff!

As an aside there is another benefit to working this way. It’s my understanding that Kontakt can only use ONE core of your CPU effectively when used as a plug-in in both Pro Tools and VE Pro. Someone will no doubt correct me if I’m wrong on this but that’s what it looks like to me. Therefore spreading your instruments across multiple instances of Kontakt rather than stuffing as many instruments into one Kontakt Multi is generally a good idea because you’re spreading your Kontakt CPU demands across more cores.