View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 04:00 PM

Default Re: protools and windows vista. is it stable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1waymuzik View Post
I meant to say windows 7 instead of vista. Is there a considerable difference from runningba pc versus a mac? Especially in terms of benefits?
There are a few differences, but it really just comes down to personal preference.

OSX allows for Aggregate I/O. This allows you to combine multiple interfaces into a single "Aggregate" interface for the allotted 32 I/O available. (Pro Tools 9 only) This cannot be done with any of the 002/003 family, but can work with MBoxes and most 3rd party interfaces.

OSX's CoreAudio drivers also tend to be less tedious than Windows' ASIO drivers and are certainly more reliable, at least in terms of pure functionality. If it has CoreAudio drivers, it will work on a Mac. Period.

Otherwise, there really aren't any advantages to using Pro Tools on OSX vs. Windows. Macs are really just the only "PC" (yes, a Mac is a PC), that is prebuilt to run audio software properly. I wouldn't rely on any other box PC (like Dell or HP) to run Pro Tools or any other DAW properly without some serious tweaking involved. Your best bet with a Windows machine is to build it yourself, which can save you a lot of money over any pre-built machine, Mac or otherwise.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515