View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Protools 10HD upgrade to from 9 is 999.99 ..... WHY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix View Post
Just my 2 cents, but I think a lot of people are slightly overreacting & looking at this situation a little wrong. The price of the HD software upgrade is almost insanely clear that it's the incentive to get the new HD hardware (it's a bit of a gut punch I'll admit.)

Now seriously, can we really complain that the current line of hardware has lasted for almost 10 years? I've gone through 3 computer systems and the entire music business has completely changed in the time that my HD system has been running smoothly. They are asking us to invest in their next gen for hardware which will allow them to move forward with the software features everyone has been asking for. There are plenty of threads already covering this topic in depth.

Most of the people that will take the initial plunge are more along the lines of major facilities that can basically afford to overhaul a room and test the new full system. That's why a lot of the new features work well for post facilities. This will probably work as long as they make the upgrade cost and path to the new hardware make more sense for current TDM users.

Seriously, I think the upgraded voice count alone makes this upgrade look really good! I just want more info on the new AAX format.
I don't disagree with the general direction of your post...but for many of us, your last statement isn't terribly important. Perhaps major films do need the up-to-500+ tracks, but for most music work, and for a lot of post work, 192 tracks is typically workable. Actually, very workable.