View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Default Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
I'm still on the fence like many in my area because of the reasons you have mentioned. 7k to move one system to HDX ? Avid stock has been down and nobody was updating so they needed to come up with a plan to create capital some how...Avid could of made this transition a lot smoother but as you see that didn't happen. Look at all the marketing ploys on Avid's new HDio which they didn't sell many because of the small development increase hence HD to HDX. I still believe if this release would of had 64bit and a mobile TB type interface not PCIe card people would have been content.
Like digidesigner I'm having trouble seeing where you're going with this. First your statement that HD I/O has not been selling well. Basing you assumption on the few people you know in your area, does not reflect the entire world Market. Some have been hit more than others by the global recession, and in such it influenced a lot their decision process for updating their equipment.

Also, considering that the 192 can't be bought new, any one that has bought new equipment from avid, that is not used from ebay or other means, has bought the HD I/O (omni, madi, 8x8x8, 16x16 analogue or digital). If I'm not making a mistake while reading the report that they have provided, the audio division of avid for the last three months that ended in September made 66 Millions for a total of 164 Millions when including the video segment. That's still a lot of sales, of course it's not just for the HD interfaces, but without having a per product table of sales, we can't know what has sold or not. So the statement that the HD I/O interfaces has not sold, is unfounded.

But then you go on and compare those sales being correlative to the small development increase and that reason being why they went from HD to HDX, that makes no sense at all. The R&D cost as shown in the report has remained stable in 2011 as it has been in 2010. 28 millions usd and some dusts.

So I'd really loved to see on what report you're making the assumption that the HD I/O has not sold, and that's the reason why they moved from HD to HDX. Which in essence that reasoning makes no sense at all. People have been asking for new dsp cards for the last three years in the dsp market of Avid, it's completely natural that they would come out with new products that would be ready for the future of PT 64 bit.

Also even though people can actually pre order the HDX cards, many suspect that the real sales will happen when the product is available on the market and more reviews will have been made about the products, by independent sources that are not tied to sales.

As for TB interface, sure it's a nice interface, it's still slower than pcie interfaces, and in that essence might not be suitable for large bandwith demand when you are tracking large amount of simultaneous inputs. The future will tell us about that, but there's not enough a market for TB yet to actually have a good base for analysis.

Wave-T.com