View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 04:16 AM

Default White bursts of noise and I/O device error ?! HELP

Hey everyone,

I recently went back to listen to some old sessions I've done in the past, on an external drive I haven't used in awhile. For most of them, I was getting one of two issues happen:
a- I would get bursts of static noise, and some audio tracks would seem to "skip"
b- I would get the following error pop up: "DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough. Drive may be too slow or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to extra firewire bandwith or CPU upload"

I searched the forums here and while I couldn't seem to find that anyone had pinned this down to the exact issue (many people tried many different things, and some worked and some didn't).
On a few posts, I saw that some had suggested when they moved those files to a different drive, they worked for them. So I tried that with a few, and I think its working for the most part.

However, when I try to copy all of those old sessions now over to the new drive (if corrupt drive, get em backed up), everyone once in awhile it will get an error trying to drag a file (something as simple as one piece of vocal take for example) that says: cannot copy this file to drive. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Oddly, it will just be one little audio take in the entire session that gets this issue, all others copy over no problem.

I notice this happened a couple of times when trying to PLAY a certain track from that old drive, something like that would pop up about an I/O error.

Does anyone have any idea what this would be? I've tried searching under I/O errors, etc ... but couldn't find anything similar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
TDub

Running ProTools 8 on self built computer per PT specs (Asus PQ5; Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550; 4GB)

Digi002 R with Command 8 - PTLE 8.03
Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB