View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Is UAD worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Eichelberg View Post
I own quite a bunch of UAD-Plugins and I'm using an Octo PCIe card alongside my HDX 2.

In essence I agree with Stephen Bond, although I think the audio quality of some of their plug-ins justifies putting up with the DSP nonsense, when you want to buy in, wait for Black Friday or any of the 50% off offers.

I'd add one more significant downside to using them though - the latency means I can't use UAD plug-ins before bouncing stuff into Melodyne and offline bounces will be speed limited to 2,5x instead of 10x-16x depending on your CPU. This is a really bugging me. I'm using a lot of the Plugin-Alliance stuff instead, they have a few top notch processors that are even AAX DSP.
I'm very curious to know how much minimum latency each UAD thunderbolt satellite plugin adds to pro tools HDX. I am definitely going HDX in the future to replace my apollos and analog mixers to have everything in Pro Tools as a turnkey solution, but there are some UA specific plugins I'd still like to use when mixing, for example Oxide.
You are in a unique position to answer this so I really hope you see this post.

I understand all the individual plugin latencies of all UA's plugins, what I am after is the base latency. You can easily test this by inserting an older UA MK1 plugin into the HDX mixer, as the MK1 plugins are not upsampled and don't have additional latency.. Therefore the latency will only be whatever the latency is to deal with dsp to dsp system..
So, the scenarios I am after is one UA plugin inserted on an audio track with no other plugins, and one UA plugin inserted on a different track in conjunction WITH a hdx aax dsp plugin, where I think the latency will be higher.

I want to make sure that the low ADC value of pro tools is enough to take care of being able to at least use a couple UA plugins on a track if I want to. I can work out the rest myself as I know all the individual plugin latencies, and I can add them to the base latency after to work out what will be usable and what won't be.

Would really, really appreciate this.. Knowing this will determine whether I sell my 4 satellites and all my UAD plugins along with them.

Cheers