View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020 with Mojave/reinstatement plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And as for how you get back to something stable if moving to Mojave has problems .... well as always the easiest way is you never shoot yourself in the head to start with.

Grab a spare drive or partition (Should be on an SSD nowadays) and do a full new clean install of Mojave then install 2020.3 and other needed stuff like interface drivers. Test that works, reinstall new/updated plugins etc. When everything is tested and working you can clone the new drive over the old one. All major upgrades ideally should be done like this. And Before you start, on yet another drive make a clone of your old system disk.. and remove and put that clone disk somewhere safe..... to protect yourself from finger mistakes while doing other things.
Got ya! Thanks for the reply, dude! So, just to wrap my head around this;I don't run a professional facility, so I'm admittedly bad at the whole backup stay up to date thing.. Not very smart, I know.

But, would a sufficient option be, make a backup of my computer, upgrade to Mojave, install the free trial of Pro Tools 2020 (I don't need ultimate) on my computer and see how it runs, and if all is good, do a clean install and go for it, if not revert back to where I was, or maybe even try Catalina? I ask this because I don't have a spare SSD or partition, so it would require me to wipe my computer.
I also thought I read in the past that you can change the extension name of Pro Tools and install two different versions at the same time, and people do that for testing purposes. Is that alright to do and worth trying?

I also take it that when I do my reinstatement plan, I won't be able to have access to Pro Tools 2018 or 2019, correct? Or will it give me those as legacy installers?