View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Plugin Reverbs vs Outboard Reverbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
TC verbs are same whether you use TDM plug or S6000 hardware. If you use digital connections the algorithm itself is identical. And even analog conversion is superb on that unit, it's hard to tell which is used.

So...

Outboard reverb is more complex system than a plugin. You might have AD/DA conversion, you might have less than 24 bit processing, etc.

Plugin reveals the true nature of the algorithm, because there is nothing more to it. Just the plug.

That said, best plugs sound the best, and best outboard sound the best. Choose what you like and can afford, then go make music :)

So if I understand what you are saying, it sounds like you are saying that the best plug-ins are just as good as the best reverb modules. Correct?

It makes the most sense to me.

Sure, a flavor of D/A might sound nice, but you could also route a plug-in out of a good D/A and back in again to get something similar. Correct? But if a Module is connected digitally, then there is really no reason that the module would be any different then a plug-in programmed with the same algorithms.

I am just trying to understand why people want to spend 10's of $1,000's of dollars on hardware reverbs unless it was really a difference that couldn't be obtained in a plug-in.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio