View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 04:23 PM

Default Re: New Mac Pro (7.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Spending the extra 20 seconds it takes to plug in the supplied jumper cable during installation is a very small price to pay for a DSP system that is almost twice as powerful as UAD... But really, both Avid and UA should be making far more use of the available PCIe auxiliary power by releasing UAD-2 twenty and HDX MKII that offer far more DSP processing per PCIe card. They are both outdated platforms, but UAD in particular takes the cake.
It seems UAD Is focusing more on the Apollo series now - I think Apollo X has double the dsp power of the previous generation. But I think that was vs a Quad, which would be equivalent to the Octo. The current plugin models are also much more hungry than the old ones, and the DSP does fill up quick without multiple devices. To them maybe it seems like that's a good reason to buy another device to chain in, more i/o and more dsp!

Anyway getting off-topic now - I didn't mean to string this out. HDX is not supported by Mac Pro officially thus why it requires purchasing an additional adapter, and it just struck me as annoying. I'm sure they will eventually supply it as someone said. Not annoying enough to make me not purchase it or that it's something to even consider, just an offhand comment.