View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 LE multiple problems

Hi Bill,

THANK YOU for your reply.

>>
With any PT version it's usually a good idea to reboot every few days, at least.
<<
Actually I boot into the day's work using a Device Profile set up for PT then (when I'm done for the day) I boot out using my default Device Profile (which accomodates my backup and network strategies). My "2-4" times per month" comment had to do with comparing the reboot counts between 7.4 and 8.0 (due to locks, freezes, digital feedback, etc.).

I have three Device Profiles:
For non-Protools use.
PROTOOLS
When sitting at the desk.
PROTOOLS+NETWORK

When recording (I sit in front of my amp). I use Windows Remote Desktop because I can't reach the 003.

>>
For the purposes of testing to determine the cause of errors like you're having it's best to remove anything that didn't come with PT8.
<<
I know... you're right (I like to play instead of troubleshoot).

>>
You can generate a list with version numbers from the Digidesign Tech Support Utility.
<<
Opps!... I've used that to trash databases and preferences. Didn't register that the utility did more than that... duh.

I see that the "Utility" report picked up the \Line 6 subDir under the \Plug-ins folder. Can I create subDir(s) under the \plug-ins(unused) folder (so I can organize that stuff) and the report will pick it up also?

>>
You don't actually have to go through the uninstall... Moving them just prevents PT from seeing them when it runs.
<<
yyyyyyyyesBaby !! THANK YOU very much.

>>
Confirm that the 003 is really connected to the card with the TI chip.
<<
The wire goes from the 003 to the card.

>>
Not a guarantee that faster RAM will fix all (or any) of the problems you're describing, but it will certainly improve overall performance.
<<
What do you mean by "overall performance"? My display and... the "mechanics" of using the GUI and... the 003 hardware... already feels snappy. Is there some "extra headroom" benifit (in thwarting potential errors) by using FASTER RAM?

>>
You should be able to find good DDR2-1333 RAM for about that same price (as the sale).
<<
Any particular Brand/Model for the RAM?

>>
Dozens. Easily.
<<
Huh? (grumble, grumble)... I'm using 4-5 plug-ins!! I just GOTTA get this rig dialed in!!!

>>
Do you still get the same symptoms when not using Strike?
<<
Strike has always been in the plug-ins folder ever since I first installed Pro Tools.

When you say "not using Strike" do you mean... put it in the UNUSED folder?

>>
I have since switched to BFD2, but when I was using Strike I found that it was quite memory hungry even at what should be modest settings, AND it started acting strangely (it and the entire system) after making a series of kit piece substitutions, mixer changes, etc. Once things got to that point the only solution was to close PT and restart.
<<
NO NO NO... don't tell me that. Strike's my drummer buddy!!

I thought I did my homework back when I got the 003. I needed a drum plug-in and everybody (DigiTechs, Music Store, friends) said to bite the bullet on the $300 and get Strike. Digi did mention it was a memory hog but that I wouldn't have a problem with a Quad + 4Gb + dedicated local drives.

My only bitch with it is... the style editor SUCKS. Other than that... it's tones, subPlug-in capabilities (mics, EQ, effects, etc), kit builder, mixer, and huamanizing algorithms are all GREAT!

Maybe if I get to know it's configuration settings menu a little better (especially since I use it ONLY to RECEIVE midi data).

>>
Are you using the /3G switch in boot.ini to get the extra 1G memory allocation to the OS? Without it, PT will quickly run out of memory, especially with hungry VI's.
<<
No but... I am now! yyyyyyyyesBaby !! THANK YOU very much.

>>
Most of the problems you describe can be caused by inadequate memory,
<<
I'm maxed on the RAM. My drives are set up as follows:
C: Internal 80Gb 10,000 rpm - system drive
D: Internal 500Gb 7,200 rpm - audio drive
E: Internal 500Gb 7,200 rpm - used for Ghost backups, plug-in settings and a 3Gb Virtual Memory PageFile
G: External 250Gb - for MP3 storage

Does PT8 benifit from a PageFile (I create one on all my PCs out of habit)?

>>
sluggish disk i/o,
<<
This one's over my head. I don't know what controls (or how I can control) this.

>>
or just poor system performance in general, including a heavily fragmented PT data disk.
<<
I defrag once a month.

>>
A few of the really crazy messages you're getting could happen with PT is running memory starved (past the point of just starting to have errors)
<<
I'm sure there's memory issues. I'm just not tech savvy enough to know how to troubleshoot and fine tune... other than with the OS/Hardware setup guides I get from the Digi web site.

>>
or there is a hardware problem such as bad RAM, flaky mobo, etc.
<<
No No No No No... NO bad hardware... No No No No No. <grin>

>>
But since everything seemed ok in 7.4 we can at least for now rule out bad hardware issues.
<<
Phew!... thank you.

>>
I've seen almost all these issues at one time or another when PT8 (especially) runs memory starved, but it can also happen with PT7.
<<
Why do you say... "PT8 (especially)"??? The more PT matures... the more you need to treat it with kit gloves???

>>
I hope something from this might be helpful.
<<
Something was... yyyyyyyyesBaby !!

I just did a 6hr session... including walking away for an hour from the open (non-playing) session.

Playback Engine settings were set at
H/W Buffer = 512
RTAS Processors = 4
CPU Usage Limit = 85%
RTAS Engine = unchecked
Disk Buffer Size = Level 2
Cache Size = Normal

NO ERRORS... NO REBOOTING... 5 ROCK SOLID hours of FUN... yyyyyyyyesBaby !!

The only thing I noticed was PT took about 5-6 seconds to kick in AFTER I was away for that hour I mentioned (above).

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. You wouldn't happen to be female would you? <grin>

New question:
Last year (when I first got the 003) I got all excited and transfered some of my analog multi track tape stuff (2 days worth of work not including setup) at... 88.2. I have since learned to use 96 as the default. The material is Classic Rock style uptempo and ballads. Is converting 88.2 files to 96 (within PT) noticable or... do I need to transfer the tape again at 96?

Well.. I'm gonna make some more noise.

THANX AGAIN for your time... Frankie J (^_^)