View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Workflow for drums

With acoustic drums, the biggest step is likely to be phase and time alignment of audio between the tracks. The best way to achieve this is worthy of way more discussion than space here allows for, so I suggest some research into it, and also check out Sound Radix plugin called AutoAlign(and watch some videos on it as its not the most intuitive process).

For me, I hate mixing drums without Waves JJP Signature drum plugin, but I never track with it due to plugin latency. For tracking, the Avid Channel Strip plugin goes a long way, as does a great kit with great microphones and preamps(another long discussion). I use sends on all the "shell" tracks to feed a stereo AUX track for drum bus compression(usually with Cytomic's "The Glue" or Slate's VMR and his red "tube" compressor).

Since I don't have a big room, I fake the room sound with a short room reverb(usually IK Classik Room, but always trying others).

Cymbal tracks will usually get a Pultec EQ for some top-end "air"(Maag EG is the only other EQ that delivers in this department).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave