View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Need software drum sequencer advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
To me, BOOM is just a beat box when it sounds like you want real-sounding drums. Superior Drummer 3 would be my suggestion. Not that I think it sounds "better" than other options("better" being very subjective), but because of a few features that are missing from other options. Tops on that list is the ability to use SD3 to replace sounds, and it does a great job with minimal fuss. All the major players are capable of giving you great sounding drum tracks(assuming you are a good mixer, in the first place). From my own experience, there are a few things to consider in getting the best results(again, "best" being totally subjective) and here's my top few ideas:

1-find a way to make the overall sound become YOUR sound and not the same sound as the other 5000 people using the plugin. The way I do that is to NOT use the ambient or room mics and substitute my own acoustic signature(any small room reverb will make a big difference). I also tend to change tuning a bit from the stock settings.

2-don't be afraid to edit the midi loops. While there are tons of loops available(which can be great for non-drummers), as a drummer, you can easily edit what the plugin gives you, so dive in

3-my personal preference is to alter the bleed that the stock kits include(they tend to have way too much snare in the overheads for my taste)

At the end of the day, SD3, Slate, EZDrummer, Addictive Drums, BFD, etc are all capable of great tracks

That’s great advice. Thank you. I am going to have to dig in a bit more to find my sound with my grooves. I love the three suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Book Pro
Processor 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7
16 Gb 1600 MHz DDR3 Memory
Mac OS High Sierra V 10.13.6

Pro Tools: Version 2018.10.0