View Single Post
Old 04-23-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Improve Performance

With my G4 867 (QuickSilver), 640 MB RAM, 001, PTLE 6.2.3 & OS 10.3.3 I get 32 tracks and about 8 auxes (with lots of plugs). At that point I'm hitting about 65-70% on the CPU meter. The redraws are a bit slow, but still usable (could be the older NVidia video card).

I find that OS 10.3.3 is the key for me. In the previous versions of OSX I was not running that smoothly.

Make a backup of your boot drive using Carbon Copy Cloner and then upgrade to OS 10.3.3 and PTLE 6.2.3 or 6.4 if you're daring.

I was hesitant moving from 10.2.6 to 10.3.2 (and then 10.3.3) at first, but now I am so glad I risked it (between paying gigs - of course. I never test anything new on a paying client). I'm still thinking of adding more RAM and a GigaDesigns dual G4 upgrade, but right now things are working so well I'm reluctant to do anything. So much so that I have the 6.4 update ready to go, but am nervous about causing any problems so it sits and waits.

All caveats apply...YMMV, my $0.02, not intended for human consumption, et al...

HTH

Always err on the side of perfection.