View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Softube Release MKII Version Of Tube Tech Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I pretty well agree. Not so much because I think DSP is outdated... but because HDX is nothing more than the same Nubus, or PT|24, or Mix|24 or HD TDM design rehashed. In a world of iThings and powerful laptops it is old and dull and done to death.

Avid have pretty successfully managed to flush one of it's biggest draw cards down the toilet, and that is the ability to host the entire mix engine on DSP. Imagine what an Apollo style HDX interface would do for Pro Tools and Avid? Price it competitively, and tie elements of the software back to it. For example, give vanilla users access to AAX-DSP plugins, and maybe even a DSP hosted mix engine. Allow HD users to cascade multiple units for more inputs, or create a HD version with more I/O and DSP processing.

Avid is getting creamed because they aren't making what people want, and are trying to compensate for it by charging their existing user base additional fees - i.e. Digilink license, or by flipping them software that costs 5 times the competition to gain basic features. It really isn't surprising that users and software developers are walking away.

Yup, it really is a shame that a reasonably priced DSP based alternative isn't available. Those of us that need to have a low latency monitoring situation are becoming more and more screwed. Hopefully there are at least enough of us to make a slight difference to the bean counters out there.