View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.2.0.152 Constantly Crashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresenddrums View Post
Thanks so much for the advice! I didn't realize all that. Now I will definitely upgrade the drive that I record to.

I see on WD's website that the Black may be PC only. Can I use it with a Macbook Pro laptop?

I've read that Avid recommends an OWC Mercury Elite drive. Do you have experience with those?

Thanks again!
If you want to buy a pre-packaged external HDD (I would not recommend that until you consider an SSD). Then generally external Thunderbolt, FireWire 800, or USB3 (not USB2) Packaged HDD from Glyph, Lacie, G-Tech or OWC are the go-to vendors, especially for Mac users, but always confirm the drive is at least 7,200 RPM. Firewire 800 is pretty dead so I would avoid drives that only have that.

On a Mac, Pro Tools needs your audio drive to be formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". (Oh while on that what file system is on your current external WDC drive?)

If you want to build your own external HDD than a WDC Black in a USB3 or Thunderbolt enclosure is a *great* way to go. WDC likely are saying PC only on retail upgrade packaged drives as they come formatted as NTFS and you need to reformat them as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and they likely just do not want to deal with the consumer support hassles.

....But did I mention considering a SSD first? Oh yes I did. several times now

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-18-2015 at 10:30 AM.