View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Re: D-Control 32 split or no split?

Quote:
Well the D-Control 32 has arrived ... yay!. It's living in my office (main unit and 16) for two months then will be installed into the studio over Xmas. We will set it up as a split. It just seems to make more sense that way. I am sure I will have some questions for you folks on "dis and dat" over the next few weeks as I figure this puppy out. The buzz around here is very heavy on this. It's so great to have some D-Cmd's to prep with. I do believe this is the way of the future if you are in bed with ProTools. Vegas get's the bean counters everytime.

Speaking of Vegas ... we have our two D-Cmd's on the same ethernet node. We are not allowed to use hubs in our institution. If both units are off line and you fire Vegas on one of them, it will automatically fire Vegas on the other unit! The second unit will not stop when the first unit is stopped. This is a real drag. Any ideas other than powering the units off when not using?

The User Tips Thread is almost better than the manual ...... thanks Chris.
That is a interesting "Feature" of the control surface that has been a real issue here at Blackbird with two 32 fader Icons. If you have a cheap router you could sub-net the console into it's own network and the one desk controls all desks issue is solved. If Digi would just give us control of the IP address' of the Console, facilities that have multiple D-Controls would not have this problem.

In Studio C, as far as having the D-Control in the center, we tried the options that would work for us (Right Side, Center) before doing the radical (and best option for the room) and splitting the desk into two pieces. A single D-Control is one piece, and the 32 Fader "Side Car" is another. We installed a custom set of wheels to allow us to move the 2 desks about at will, so now if a client wants the faders in front of him/her and the D-Control to the side, either side, it works. Often the client wants the D-Control in the "Sweet Spot" and the faders off to the side. It is a bit wide if a client wants it all in one piece, but it works, on either side.
I would not say it was inexpensive to do, as we had to buy two full frames, end caps and hardware then custom cut and machine one for the D-Control as Digi does not make one to just fit that piece.

In Studio E, the center worked out best although we tried all options before settling on it.
www.blackbirdstudio.com
www.sputniksound.com
www.vancepowell.com