View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 02:16 AM

Default Re: TG12413 Limiter substitute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by briaboy View Post
Sorry, should have added that I patch them using Blue Cat's Patchwork.
I hate that workaround, thus, I never use it. So if there isn't a native AAX available, I consider that plugin lost.

It's a shame Avid did the HDX thing like they did (sorry Avid for saying this) but because people were so used to TDM they should have delivered a SDK and a free HDX card for anyone wanting to port a TDM/RTAS plug to AAX world. And then give support in case they face trouble. Lastly, they should have had HDX pricing the way it is now IN THE BEGINNING, to get more people onboard. The ratio of TDM users versus HDX users is still not good, but with that said I don't have Avid's numbers, only word of mouth from people I'm talking with.

AAX-DSP is great and if history repeats itself, we'll see a HDX-ACCEL or whatever shortly. Original HD hardware was introduced in 2002, then Accel cards in 2003, and lastly PCI-e Accel cards in 2006. So now that we know HDX was introduced in 2011 and we finally have a solid platform (macOS10.12.1 & PT 12.6.1) to build on, and current HDX cards are discounted -- anyone can guess their next card is right around the corner. [Disclaimer, I have zero knowledge about this, everything here is pure speculation]

Saddest thing is the way Avid handled this TDM-->AAX-DSP transition alienated many valued 3rd party vendors such as Waves, TC Electronic, Serato and many more. And the vendors that want to keep supporting Avid DSP have been struggling with their releases, barring Sonnox which had their act together like "day one" or something, very soon anyway.

Okay, end ranting. I expected much much more from this TDM --> AAX-DSP thing and so far it hasn't realised so I'm at HDN currently. Those trusty old TDM rigs are still running great so I kind of have no complaints. Just that I won't be buying the current HDX platform as it is today.