View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Avid

Quote:
there are some issues with the playback speed of the VIs. both sessions are 192khz sessions. with logic set to "mtc continuous" the VIs play back at 1/4 speed [and 1/4 pitch] it seems to like any of the other settings better, such as "external / free", and then the VIs and sequence appear to play at proper pitch and speed. howeer, i note that the "sample rate" and "deviation" sliders in logic are at -10 and
-40, respectively. could that be due to the 29.97 frame rate?
There's a couple things this could be. Is there a reason you're using 192k in the first place (just out of curiousity)? MTC continuous means it's continually looking at the MTC signal and 'interpreting' the speed from that. It may be inadequate when used at higher sample rates.

Is your Pro Tools session at 192k? If so, and your X-Station only supports sample rates up to 48k, there's not much you can do in this case, other than switch to a 48k sample rate in Pro Tools and connect a digital cable (I'm not sure what the X-Station has available) between your Digi HW and the X-Station and set Audio Sync Mode to 'external'. This will keep the clocks for your interfaces locked and samples should play back fine.

If it's working like that in the current config, then I'd go with that.

Now that I think about it, having that set to 'external' would probably be the correct way to configure this, since you want all your interfaces clocked to the same source clock. MTC Continuous just does an 'interpretation' based on the incoming MTC code and would be subject to drift. I'll correct that in my initial post.

Quote:
finally, the pro tools tempo control does not seem to have any effect on the tempo of the logic session. is that just how it is, or is there something else to consider?
That's how it is - you're sync'ing these via MTC, which does not transmit tempo information. You have to manually set the tempo in both Logic and Pro Tools.