View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 8 m-powered and vista 64

So... you guys are programmers and understand how difficult it would be to make Pro Tools compatible with 64bit OS?

I thought not.

And as far as I was aware, the only "other company" that has done it successfully is Cakewalk. Even that only just recently came out of official "beta" status. Cubase is still in beta for 64bit compatibility. Vegas is the only Sony product that I'm aware of that is 64bit (and that capability is brand new). Reaper has a 64bit version, but it's still in Beta. The list goes on... hell even Microsoft can't really get the 64bit thing quite right in the operating system. Seriously.

Let me ask you guys another question; how many third party plugins can you name that are 64bit compatible?

Here's another one; how many third party hardware peripherals can you name that are 64bit compatible?

IMHO, Pro Tools wouldn't be anywhere close to productive if you could only use the stock plugins and hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christodoulidesd View Post
I fail to understand the logic behind such a decision. Since most professional audo / video users are aiming absolutely at the highest performance and stability they can get from their systems and since x64 operating systems (and notably the new Windows 7 which will come out very shortly, as reported) are built especially around this multi-core processor and 64bits philosophy, how can a company like Digidesign release the new 2009 version of what's possibly the most popular professional audio application and not support 64 bit os?
Simple answer; because the 64bit OS is not, under any circumstances, "stable" and/or "reliable".

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12