View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 12:19 PM

Default Re: 33 day countdown! Time to stick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
I've been a long time Pro Tools user. I bought pretty much every version since v5. In fact, at one time I was paying for the updates of both the TDM and LE versions! Since the TDM rig went I have stuck with vanilla.

Anyhow, I've been thinking about my options for a long time. The yearly Avid tax was more than enough at nearly £100. When it went up to £200 I thought it was time to leave. I purchased another upgrade before the price doubling and that took me to September of this year.

The updates I have received in the last year or so have confirmed what I suspected. Sure, folders is nice but I can't bring to mind much else save a slew of bug fixes. The later are not inconsequential. Pro Tools is the most stable it has been for a good many years. However, I of course do not wish to pay £200 a year to fix things which don't work as they should.

As I have said repeatedly, for £200 I can buy Logic Pro X and receive free updates until a new major version arrives. That money is far better spent elsewhere. Sure I love Pro Tools but it is probably time to stick with what I have, even bearing in mind the punitive policies Avid have in place to return to the fold?

Stephen
These are all valid points and I concur! I have the latest Ultimate and Vanilla versions and my renewal ends in December and I will NOT be renewing either versions. I will be using Studio One 5 Pro as my main DAW now. I must say I haven’t tried Logic yet. Now a days there are so many other options. It’s all just a matter of preference. I don‘t see Pro Tools as the industry’s standard anymore just those who have invested so much into it and can’t afford to get out. Some even have to defend Avid to justify there position. There are expectations of course. I also agree there progress has been purposefully slow. Boy they are really milking that cow! I have been using multiple DAWs for sometime now and I have no problem working mainly in another DAW and freezing Pro Tools for when I needed it. I was at this point several times before but kept giving Avid a chance to be the company they should be. People will always inject the fear of but what if? I waited last time for almost 3 years before I jumped back in and save a bunch but still got little for it.

Last edited by zion; 08-01-2020 at 01:46 PM.