View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Help setting up patchnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtvaudio View Post
Hey Steven/ Avid S5 users

One question regarding this right now is whether it is better to route our outboards as Channel Inserts or as Aux Sends; Ive opted for aux sends right now; from what I can gather the Inserts sit in the processing path after the S5's own DSP, and we will mainly use them as outboard preamps. Later on I might want to put then on mix buses as processors though.
It depends which sort of outboard. Typically any dynamics would be used as inserts in your channels or Mix busses. Beware that the Mix Bus insert button is NOT automated, so you'll have to be wary of switching it in and out during a mix.
Any reverb or other FX outboard is better used from an Aux send, with returns patched to DSP channels.

Quote:
Group buses in Patchnet are for sending and returning from a DAW or recorder, right? So I've set up one of the frames as a dedicated IO to our ProTools MADI HDs. Am I correct in thinking that these are not the same as Control Groups in the console?
Group busses are indeed used for sending a record Source to a multitrack recorder or DAW. The Record tracks from the DAW then need to be patched to Channels, quite like in a Split analog console configuration (vs In-Line config).
In a Film mix configuration, you will be using Mix Busses to send the Mix and Stems to the recorder/DAW. That way you can listen to the bus output or the DAW return in the Monitoring section (Bus/Tape switching, AKA PEC/Direct ).
Control GROUPS on the other hand are akin to VCA, except that they also have the power to control EQ, DYN and any other processing on the slave Channels.

Quote:
Regarding S5...is it possible to use the dual-panner module without the Film Panel? As it stands we have a unit with no ethernet port, so how would one assign the panners to a target strip/channel? If not why on earth did they supply us with one?
Yes it is. On my first S5 we had a 401J module with only panners and a VGA screen. The panners are not connected via RJ45, but with 9 pin Serial Cables. The first panner is to be plugged into the serial port of your FIRST CM408 fader module, and the second is plugged into the serial port of the Second CM408 module.

Hope that helps.

The studio FB page