View Single Post
Old 08-30-2000, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Customer Support/Digidesign Products, is the registered owner, the legal owner?

----------
Snip from Lee Editor, I guess it's amusing

--------------------------
Actually understanding the fine points of business is key to success, 3M, nor Exxon pay taxes, nor does any major Corp. in America. In fact the govt., subs them to stay in business. They took the few extra moments to dig into the finer points of business....as did the Clintons...White Water anyone

-------Lee-----------
to speculate and debate these legal fine points, but my question would be: Why are you running your business in such a casual and slipshod manner?
------------------

I can see how you might think that from my post, but this is a serious issue, hard and software license and ownership; and right/license to use...was a key disc ever really legal?...I did buy a license to use PT a key disc blocked that right at times......a fine point also....treading on the thin ice of some nasty legal issues..

------Lee--------------
For most folks, there are enough problems and hassles associated with operating a business. Why generate more?
-----------------------

Well, the truth is Lee, I have an excellent legal team, and they echoed Customer supports ownership comments...before I posted. The other truth is, is that I am set for life if the placed burned down tomorrow, it is all for the love of the game. An employee years ago once asked me why I never checked out long distance bills closely, generated from the studio clients. I told her I make at the least $250.00 per hour, the entire complex generates around 3 to 5 grand an hour.... I actually lose money by taking the time to look close at phone bills. I now have accounting and they look it over, if it is a bit heavy; even so, the client pays at the least $100.00 an hour more like two...at least. I would never bite the hand that feeds by asking questions about trivial numbers....The bigger picture, the bigger picture....No phone call anytime any place bills $100.00 an hour.

--------Lee--------
From the last sentence of your last post, are you suggesting that both you and your employee are going to be deducting the same system? Ethics aside, I wouldn't want to be you in a tax audit.

------------------

I am the legal owner it is legal for me to deduct it, he can sweep his own side of the street.... All that aside one key phrase for success in business here Lee...NEVADA BASED CORPS.
-----------------------

Don't mean to be smug here Lee (and I sure am looking that way), have enjoyed your posts around here, but to me business IS war. I enjoy the finer points. As far as ethics, well my favorite quote regarding ethics/morality is from the film 'Apocalypse Now' Brando: "They teach young men to drop fire on people, but they wont let them write F*** on the side of their airplanes....because it is obscene".....Ethics??? Hmmmm. Your tax dollars pay for that fire...to each his own!

At the least it is an un-opened can of worms in the new, "information age."

Regards

e

[This message has been edited by editor (edited August 30, 2000).]