View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Frustrating Pro Tools Performance on a Nuclear Submarine System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Although the New ARM Mac mini has shown some impressive performance and several folks have been able to run Protools on it. It is still official not certified due to the following:

1. Big Sur has yet to be certified for Protools.
2. Protools is still running Intel code through Rosetta translation
3. The current line of M1 based Macs are limited to the RAM options on the ARM processor carrier (8GB and 16 GB). While I was able to have Protools load using 8GB RAM, the minimum requirement states 16 GB RAM. If you use VIs, and larger plugins, that limited RAM is bound to run out of room. Unlike the previous generation of Intel based Mac minis, the RAM is not upgradable.

Back in the Windows side of things, be sure to do the optimizations suggested.
I'm not that intrepid. Big Sur is a big release and I think came out of the oven a little too soon. The M chips can execute the Intel instruction set much like the Intel chips executed the PowerPC instruction set did (back in the day) in a pseudo virtual machine. It's not going to be as efficient as compiling for the ARM instruction set.

I'll wait .. and I would caution against trying PT on the M stuff until its officially supported. I guarantee you'll hit a significant issue.

As far as multi-core usage. Protools will utilize the cores for plugins and instruments. I have noticed that it doesn't distribute to the
other cores as efficiently as I would expect, however.