View Single Post
Old 10-12-2003, 06:54 AM

Default Newbie help with basic questions

Dear kind users of the DUC-
Thanks so much to the kind souls who have offered much advice to my previous questions which can only be described as “newbiesque”
I now seek your further guidance.
I have been using PT 6.1 for a couple weeks to record songs with a couple acoustic guitars some bass and vocal tracks. I have been experimenting with Reason and can make some funky sounds – but that really does me no good.
I’d like to start really recording. Which for me would be to loop rock drum patterns (nothing fancy – a small kit, a straight ahead beat- think Replacements or REM or The Beatles or...). Picking out a couple drum patterns for Verse, chorus, a half bar fill etc.- Then play some rhythm and lead guitar over it , add some bass, couple vocal parts, a keyboard pad (organ, strings or something), stir, heat to 350 and serve.
So… ummm… help?
I’ve been trying to learn about midi (I’ve generally been a roll tape and record the band live guy when in studio) and how Reason works and I have bought manuals & guides and read various websites religiously- but complete comprehension is remaining tantalizingly out of reach and what with 2 jobs and 2 kids and 2 wives (well- Ok only 1 wife, but sometimes…) I feel like it will take 5 years before I can find enough time to read it all and understand and really get started.
So – can I buy a cd of rock drum loops and just import the various parts into PT, mapping out my songs? Would it be better to go through Reason? What is the best CD to get for this purpose and do I need additional software to run it? Once I get the drum beat in, I’m fairly confident I can play the guitars and do the vocals, but the keyboard pads- should I play them live through Reason into PT or does it make more sense to program them in Reason and then import it into PT (I assume that makes sense and can work and there is a way to match up the parts so they’re in time).
Is there some FAQ some where that can guide me through this without 300 pages of extraneous material?
Once again- thank you all for your patience and assistance.