View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Waves Studiorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADIrouting View Post
I think this is an excellent idea. Are you asking for theoretical values, I would propose we get a test we can agree upon that will provide some practical values.

Do the moderators on the forum here have a documented test method from AVID? something that we can actually repeat and reproduce amongst ourselves and our measurement system could be the same... if we start working with theoretical numbers I am afraid this thread could dissolve into garbage, that is what I want to avoid. It would be great to have the truth.

Your test #1, I get. #2, Is great and will be interesting. Your Test #3, you're going to have to help me understand why you would even choose to do that? I'll clarify so if my understanding is way off; if I am overdubbing in a session with my HDX system, I always choose DSP plug-ins, I would never in this situation put a native plug-in as an insert. If I misunderstood, please clarify.

I would propose we start with a PT11 session, setup with a routing scheme, that we could record through an output, with DSP plug-ins, and then back through an input and we could measure the delay against the original. Then we can just swap out the AAX DSP plug-ins, with the StudioRack SG I/O configuration. Something similar to how we verify delay compensation issues with the current system. Seem reasonable?
Hi and thanks for this..

I am only interested in real world performance

To this end I have already measure ND Native (the only system I own) for RTL latency like #1 in this post - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=344994 . I only measure things with Function generator and Oscilloscope. I know of no way to do this using ProTools that I can absolutely trust that the software isn't compensating for things. I feed a signal in and measure the delay in real time. So for all zero additional latency plug ins (in Native) we get no additional latency by chaining them on a record enabled track.

WRT #3 - once we know #1 for HDN, #3 is only impacted by any additional latency the plug in adds.

Now with SG - there are MANY potential paths - each with its own latency implication
- Low Latency using their i/o and dsp
- Going in their i/o and looping through ProTools (Native/HDN) for a non-Waves plug
- Going in AVID i/o and looping into one of their DSP boxes for Waves plugin then back to AVID i/o for headphones
Not to mention the concerns of VI people
- Going into either their box or AVID box - routing through a VI and going back to headphones.
And your question about
- HDX guy wanting to route AVID i/o loop through their DSP box and back to AVID i/o for headphones.

Every one of these has latency implications and so far we have NOTHING from Waves on how it really works. Just "enthusiasm" as a replacement for facts... HD Native is great but Latency is always a concern. The new Soundgrid stuff may be brilliant or "other" - I truly can not tell from the info available so far!

I am happy to be the test point for all things HD Native related. Agree on a structure and i will post results
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html