View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Waves Studiorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Yes-

1) Please detail the roundtrip analog to analog monitoring latency with 4 Waves Plugins through one of the Soundgrid I/O boxes and PT11.

Mic --> SG I/O --> 4 plugins --> SG i/O --> Headphones (DAW = PT11 Native with buffer set to 512)
AT:
1A) 44.1kHz
1B) 96kHz
Please include any buffer settings from the Waves SG system.

2) Also is there any latency difference between different SG I/O boxes (DLS and IOS for instance)

3) Lastly - if one wants to use a NON-SG plugin for monitoring - forcing one to go THROUGH PT and not straight through the LowLatency waves path - what would be the total latency for --

Mic --> SG I/O --> 1 PT11 AAX Plugin --> SG i/O --> Headphones (DAW = PT11 Native with buffer set to either 44.1/32 or 96/64)
I think this is an excellent idea. Are you asking for theoretical values, I would propose we get a test we can agree upon that will provide some practical values.

Do the moderators on the forum here have a documented test method from AVID? something that we can actually repeat and reproduce amongst ourselves and our measurement system could be the same... if we start working with theoretical numbers I am afraid this thread could dissolve into garbage, that is what I want to avoid. It would be great to have the truth.

Your test #1, I get. #2, Is great and will be interesting. Your Test #3, you're going to have to help me understand why you would even choose to do that? I'll clarify so if my understanding is way off; if I am overdubbing in a session with my HDX system, I always choose DSP plug-ins, I would never in this situation put a native plug-in as an insert. If I misunderstood, please clarify.

I would propose we start with a PT11 session, setup with a routing scheme, that we could record through an output, with DSP plug-ins, and then back through an input and we could measure the delay against the original. Then we can just swap out the AAX DSP plug-ins, with the StudioRack SG I/O configuration. Something similar to how we verify delay compensation issues with the current system. Seem reasonable?