View Single Post
Old 01-06-2003, 07:14 PM

Default Re: The future of Apple/G5?!?

ditching PCI is just a little too far fetched for me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think your confusing a "new" product..with what's already out.

double data rate firewire is speculated to make it's arrival (or announcement) tomorrow..along with some new "digital portable" device..

Conex (Conix)...was the name of the company apple bought to obtain their opengl library for mac a long time ago.

Couple that with the "hint" about the new product being related to pushing pixels around on the screen...and you start to get something that might make some sense.

But, removing PCi from powermacs...in the present enviornment would not just be shooting themselves in the foot...but in the head. I just don't think that' s even close to being a possiblity. But then ..? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And as I explained above...the vast overwhelming evidence is..the G5 is "dead"...as of last year. Gone..Poof.

So, there won't be a G5 either. There may be a "preannounced" IBM Power4 for summer? But, I think it's waaay too early for that.

If you want my bet..I'd say...Steve doens't even "mention" the pro line towers at all. Nada. Zippo. Just ride out on a wave of iapp glory.

I don't know guys..just seems like to me..Apple is really grabbing at staws wiht this one. But, we'll see. Whatever this new gadget is....it will either be GREAT...or it will be the biggest flop since the itoaster (cube).

I don't know..apple must be sitting there thinking....hey..since we can't get the towers up to speed....that same G4 in a pod portable would haul friggin butt! That's a great idea! Lets make this cool like iparty portable..for movies and audio..etc..that also has built in nav system..so you can party down...on the road. G4 might be just powerful enough to run it. What do you think? ...S. Jobs: "Is it blue?"

Makes you wonder sometimes.