View Single Post
Old 05-08-2002, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Genelec 1030s\' vs Mackie 824s\' (opinions)?

I own the Mackie's, and I to find them sounding "hyped" in the low end. However, I dont think its a problem with the speaker design, I just think they are very accurate down in the lows and most speakers are not. I like this though, as it allows me to actually hear all the high pass filtering I am doing, that way i can zone in on the best place to set it and hear the results distinctively. Most of you would really condemn my studio (its in my bedroom) and its parrallel walls and possible reflections, but somehow my mixes always sound exactly the same on other systems as they do in on my Mackies. I have used at least 3 different models of the Genelecs, and they are very hi-fi. I think both brands we are discussing have issues with where their crossovers are or something, because th mid-range is just very wierd. It works though. I guess the moral is, when you reach the $1000 mark, most nearfields are going to be great, but there will be a learning curve. The Blue Sky's do "look" interesting. I am going to compare those with the Tannoy System 800a's next, and see how it goes. Later, Dan