View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Well, it's finally happening.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
May be I am missing the point but I just don't get it. What is so "native" about a system that still requires to purchase a special card (the HD PCIe native card which is made by Avid) and then to get any inputs one must also purchase any of the special i/o boxes (also available only from Avid)? If is it "native" because the computer now processes all the plugins including the TDM? if this is the case, then what does this new "native" card do?

Why is this "native" better or worse than a PCI-e accel? I have a PCI-e HD2 and I push it to the limit. I use all the available voices + use all the TDM capabilities + use extensive RTAS + I run 1980X1080 video on the balckmagic. Can this native do the same?
Native is for higher end computers. It won't do much on a G5, but on a Mac Pro it will scream. This blows away HD1&2 in terms of voice count and I/O. The only thing missing is TDM, which isn't a big deal for those of us who are coming up from LE/M-P.

Bearing in mind... it's not meant to be competition for the TDM systems. It's a mid level solution for those who want HD features without the HD (over)price. At least, until the new TDM cards come out, and make HD3 look obsolete.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515