View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Laurel or Yanny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
But what is so interesting (to me anyways), is that different people hear one or the other, even listening on the same playback system at the same time. Thursday morning, 7 of us were at my friends house. He played the audio for us. 4 of us clearly heard "Laurel", 3 heard only "Yanny". I did the same thing on Thursday night with a group of 12 people. 2 of us heard "Laurel", clearly and distinctly. The other 10 all heard "Yanny". This was off my iPhone speaker. When we said we heard "Laurel", some of the group looked at us like "what's wrong with you?" It IS a very interesting phenomenon.

I suspect that we'll see a handful of peer reviewed research papers coming out on this in various academic and science journals. And then there will be a book...followed by a blockbuster film!
I met a folk once that couldn't hear low, mid and high-mid frequencies at all, he was legally deaf, still he wanted to be a musician so I offered to create a monitoring signal chain using multiband compression and limiting for him to be able to hear his guitar with consistency.

I suspect not everybody hears the different regions of the frequency spectrum with the same intensity either by nature or because of an accident, I for example have a slight loss on the right ear around the same frequency where the snare drum is more harsh and another in the left ear in the same area where the guitar tipically is, this is due to many years playing without hearing protections in the same part of the stage with the amp on one side and the drummer on the other. Luckily is not much and I only know because I took a hearing test, now I wouldn't left my house without my earplugs.