View Single Post
Old 11-02-2001, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Best slots for 001 PCI card and RAM chips?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>How do you check the speed?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

most chips will have a little sticker on them telling the size and speed. The Apple installed 128mb chip has such a sticker. It will be 133mhz and CL3. Don't worry about the CL factor just that all chips should be 133mhz for your computer. If one of them is 100mhz you'll have problems. I'm not even sure the computer would boot with 100mhz chips.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Ok. Why must it be in the first slot near the top? I don't remember reading anything about this in the past.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a suggestion...not imperative.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>I only have one other PCI card in the machine, and that is the video card that came with it. Off hand I don't remember what slot the video card is in, probably the first slot. so you suggest I put the 001 card in the first slot and then perhaps put the video card in the seconds slot?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

whoa there boy...relax a bit. The video card in your computer is an AGP card and as such must be in the AGP slot which is technically the first slot but I'm not talking about that. I should have been more specific. I assumed that we all know that AGP video cards must be in the first slot which is an AGP slot completely different than the PCI slots. Of the remaining 4 PCI slots I suggest putting the 001 in the first slot...no explanation necessary at this point.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>clean OS"...?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you've already done it...installed a brand new clean install. It's just a term for installing fresh. I would also suggest doing the same with PT LE as well.

Kevan