View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 09:04 AM

Default Re: If I use a crap HD to copy audio files, would it cause any problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
Furthur more, I have had an experience of copying audio files to a very very cheap USB stick , and to another computer, and I got half of the audio turns into white noise... It may be damaged due to unmount...

So wondering if a super cheap USB stick, which may easily have bad blocks, once the copy is finished without any errors, can we really trust all the audio files are the same as original.

You are not helping yourself by having problems then leaping into a specific deeper area and asking things about like “bad blocks” which have a specific technical meaning, are hardware related, below the level of files or the file system, and *will* cause reported errors on a file copy. Are you writing your own copy program? Filesystem? Working with a debugger trying to reconstruct a corrupt filesystem? No? Then stop asking questions about bad blocks etc. and start working out if you did anything that could cause this (much more likely), or you can work out if you have something like a corrupted filesystem or device (much less likely).

So again worry about things like...

Are you sure Pro Tools (or any other program/utility) fully exited/closed the session, with no errors reported, before you started copying files to the transfer media.

How exactly are you unmounting the transfer drive?

How exactly are you copying files?

There are three filesystems involved here, the source, transfer and target one. One each one compare the files, starting with generating a checksum for each file in the session. Where are they different?

What exact type of filesystem is on each device?

What exact OS/version is on each computer?

Is the file system you are copying from or too or on the transfer device corrupted. Run a file system check utility. What does it say/do?

Look at the SMART diagnostics (or equivalent) for each of the three devices.

Is this reproducible? How exactly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk