View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Building a system, where do I start?

Look for a computer based upon what you need and the supported specs. Read this thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=166055

It's outdated but you can get an idea. Personally, I would go with a new i7 and make sure the mother board and case could accept full length PCI cards, have enough sata/ FW ports as needed. At least 6-8GB of memory.

Most new PC's mother boards still have PCI / PICX so the easiest way to get into HD is to go used. Purchase a used PCI or PCIX core card. They are going for between 1000 and 1200. An additional Process Card (if needed) will run you an additional $500-800 and that would give you an HD2 setup. They are upgradeable to PCIE if you require that in the future. Prices on a used 96 i/o or 192 i/o interface are dropping. I bought a 192 i/o for $1400......a 96 i/o which would be way better than your mbox goes for less. Side notes: even if you only need an HD1 you may end up going HD2 for the voice count, Having an HD system requires you to have an external mixer or amp , Mic Pre and talk back / headphone setup. It could be easily solved with a command 8. Look into those added expenses before committing. While I would tell you to go for the HD system and cheap out on other things (mic pre / amp / etc ) An alternative might be having a new computer with a digi 003. OR use the mbox with the new computer until you collect all of the pieces you need.