View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
You know what I just realized? My current stu computer is gonna be replacing my old P4 family computer. But remember, I'm taking my current Q6600 and swapping it to the new build. So I have to buy another LGA 775 processor anyway. So what would you guys get in the $150-180 range, a lower end Quad, or beefed up Duo?
My local Microcenter has had the E7400 on sale for 99.00 for some time and I have built a few desktops with it. Its a very snappy little processor. If the new computer is only going to be used for desktop chores than a dual core is just fine. About the only benefit you would see from a Quad core would be if you used to trans code a lot of video. If you going to throw a fast video card in it and do some gaming then a faster processor would be a bonus.

A more important question would be "What processor will your old computer take". A lot of OEM machines have a locked down proprietary BIOS and it may not recognize a newer or different chip. You might want to look around a for a Q6600, Q9550, or Q9450 for the new build and just leave the old one be. It would be smart to go to the manufacturers web page for your old computer and see if it was offered with any optional processors.

Its been my experience that as long as its a dual core and its over 2GHz that theres no real difference between a dual core and a quad for surfing the web, reading email, watching videos on youtube etc.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88