View Single Post
Old 12-20-2001, 07:04 AM

Default Re: To dither or not to dither that is the? Waves IDR?

Bryan,
This is a really interesting topic. I don't think I have it all correct in my head yet, but I'll write down what I think I know and let people who know more correct me. I hope you'll let me know if I'm not clear or have somethign wrong.

(I.e. - I don't mind looking stupid if I learn something...)

1) Going to 16-bit the way you do, I believe dithering would do nothing inside of SoundForge. If it was needed, it's too late. Dithering should be done at the step where you reduce bits/sample. (see #3)

2) Going to 44.1 the way you do also requires a sample rate conversion from 48KHz, which is being done by PTLE. This means that the sound of the bounced file will be somewhat different from the sound you heard while you mixed. You should check this conversion carefully with your ears. Maybe bounce the file to both 16/48 and 16/44.1 and then compare the two. (Or also bounce 24/48 and 24/44.1 and listen to all four version.) I hear differences on acoustic stuff I've recorded. (Please read through a thread I started 3-4 weeks ago about opinions concerning recording in 48KHz. It was interesting.)

3) Dithering is NOT truncation. In the dither, it is not as simple as taking the bottom 8 bits and just removing them. Dithering is a mathematical operation which involves bit-DEPTH conversion, where the 24-bit number is converted into the closest 16 bit number. There are issues with how to best do this that require the insertion of a 'noise' variable. I know the Waves Dither has options. I do not remember if the PTLE dither does...

4) If you're going to dither inside of Pro Tools, then do it on a Master Fader AND make sure the dither is the very LAST plugin. Plug-ins are post fader on the Master Fader. This is important when dithering, because you will likely have volume automation there, and the dither will do a correct conversion of the very final audio signal, which includes the volume automation.

5) Logically speaking, there is no difference between doing the dither in PTLE as above, or bouncing to 24/44.1 and then doing the dither in Sound Forge. I think your choice would be based on which Dither plugin sounds better to your ears.

6) You're way gives you an additional option of making a better mp3, based on 24/44.1, and then down converting for your CD. (You didn't say you wanted a CD, but I assume this is why you're going to 16/44.1.)

I'm using the UltraMAximizer as my last plug-in right now. The limiting feature is really amazing, but I'm still trying to understand some of the sounds in getting from it. I think in the end, it really comes down to your ears.

Anyway, please accept this as information from someone who's learning. Not guarenteed to be correct, but given freely.

Cheers,
Mark