View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 and AMD Ryzen CPU's

Hi Guys,

Thought I would mention that I am successfully running Pro Tools on a Ryzen 1800x system and just ordered the parts to build a 2nd one.

Only had 3 real issues.
1. Getting a compatible CPU cooling fan. The first word was that the past AM3 fans would not be compatible. That's not true. The standard Coolers like the wraith that come with AM3 chips will work. They will clip on just the same. That part hasn't changed. The mounting pattern on the board has changed though, so the aftermarket stuff with specific mounting systems don't work. This processor is worth the extra dough to keep it cool and lasting long though, so I bought a coolermaster with a AM4 "bracket" but it didn't work right. It was a hack job to jump on the Ryzen train. Radiator covered the RAM. I ended up getting a Noctua specifically designed for AM4. Highly recommend that. $70 but really nice and effective. A more affordable option I might recommend would be a Zalmann CNPS5X. Especially if you plan to run the 65w Ryzen 1700 without overclocking.

2. The mouse wouldn't work (as to install the drivers from the disc) with windows 7 until I installed the chipset drivers. I fixed this by popping the OS drive into a docking station on another pc and I drag / dropped the install files to that desktop folder. Rebooted and keyed my way through the install. Mouse came right on during the process.

3. iLok kept giving me an error during software installation that I needed to update Windows. I was totally up to date. Here's the Microsoft fix for that. Just run it if you get the error.
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft....px?q=kb3125574

So here's the system specs...

RME FireFace 802 connected USB.

Windows 7 64 Pro
AMD Ryzen 1800x
Crucial Ballistix 64gb (16x4)
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming
Gigabyte 1050 TI (loads of HDMI outs )
Crucial SSD
Corsair CX500 500W PSU

I hope that helps!

And just for the sake of conversation, my 2nd system will also run Pro Tools and I will be syncing them via MIDI, using one system for VI's and the other for Audio. (I'm film composing and just terribly sick of toggling the buffer.) I have 2 RME 802's for this. I also will have 2 Vienna Ensemble servers running and each with AMD FX 8350's and 32gb RAM. All value AMD stuff. This may seem odd to most but it is pretty much a dream setup for a film composer.

-Adam