View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 09:43 AM

Default Re: OWC dock data transfer rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by juh View Post
There’s just one thing I don’t get yet (related to my precedent ‘weird’ question) : Is it possible to plug a Samsung T5 in a Mac Pro thunderbolt port via the USBC to thunderbolt2 adaptor ? (the one linked in my precedent message)
In the Apple description it looks like it’s possible. I know that the data transfer would be reduced to SATA but it would equivalent to USB port…
Otherwise you suggested me a thunderbolt2 to USB3 hub/dock that’s it ?
I alluded to this before but the USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter is not what I think you think it is. It's a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt (1 or 2, they both use the same physical links) adapter. It does not deal with USB anything. USB-C is just the connector that Thunderbolt 3 uses, it does not mean it's doing USB (aka USB, USB 2, USB3, USB 3.1 Gen blah... none of that is dealt with by that adapter).

You can hang USB peripherals off Thunderbolt, but Apple does not make an adapter that does that, one way to do that is to purchase a Thunderbolt dock that has USB ports on it. Typically they'll go up USB 3/3.1 Gen 1. This would be my recommendation but OWC are sold out of that as well: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thun...nderbolt2-Dock. (I have two of their TB3 versions of that dock). You should be able to hang a couple of SSDs like a Samsung T5 off that and get better scaling than you can with the OWC SATA dock you were asking about at the start of this thread.

There is a lot going in on your system. I suspect simplifying stuff will help, including unplug all peripherals you can (USB and TB), run through troubleshooting again, try putting a usable subset of samples on one T5 or large internal drive etc. and see if you can get things stable, look at that VI streaming/optimization etc. If you do get an upgraded internal drive I'd be tempted to do a full clean reinstall of everything on that drive and check stuff as you go. Keep those performance meters visible and see if you habe a memory problem/leak.

(BTW disk cache set to normal means the fancy cache with pre-load etc. is disabled... which if you are under memory pressure from VIs may be the best setting, if you are not then I'd be setting it to something, starting at a few GB, or gestimate from the size of the session audio on disk).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-20-2019 at 02:51 PM.