View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Multichannel DVD sound thru PT HD?

Quote:
How is a PC going to help you? Most PC's don't have built-in AC3/DTS decoding either, unless you buy some third party h/w and s/w.

Because Apple killed the third party DVD market for Macintosh by including their own player with X, I doubt you will see one anytime soon.
I think you preety much answered your own question!
I'm talking about buying a PC plus a software app like PowerDVD or similar. Is there any other app besides DVD player for Macs to play DVD? As you said, because DVD player exists, apparently there's nothing else in the marker. And then,you need a PC, or a good DVD hardware player, of course.
The point is: We already have very nice D/A conversion (192I/O), plus connection from the Mac to the Projector by DVI port( DVD looks amazing ), and a nice interface. It's a pity not being able to watch DVDs with this system because of the AUDIO limitation of DVD player.
Then Apple tells us how important is for them the music, video, movie and multimedia scene, but then fails to provide a decent solutiion. (decent in 2004=more than two channels sound on movie watching).
Then again the U$1000 PC notebook of my wife can play a DVD with Dolby Headphones. My 3K powerbook can NOT. Keep the good work, "multimedia hub" Apple.
cheers

Ric