View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Multichannel DVD sound thru PT HD?

I've been puzzling with a similar issue. I want to set up my room for surround mixing, since I have several opportunities to work in the format on the horizon. Right now I'm using the Coleman Audio M3 for stereo monitoring and it works great. They make a surround version as well, but it only has the 6 inputs for the PT surround outputs. What if I want to listen to a DVDa for reference? Can't do it. There are no external inputs on the box. So All I can do is listen to the outputs of Pro Tools. No CD Player, no Dat, no DTS decoder for DVD playback. Nothing. Just 6 inputs for 5.1 playback from Pro Tools.

The only things I have found that could work are home theater recievers and I'm not wild about going that route. I think the sound would be too colored to be useful in a mix setting. Most of them don't even have +4 inputs for Pro Tools or +4 outputs to the power amps or powered speakers. They assume you will be using the internal amps in the unit.

I know that Control 24 and Pro Control have the abiltiy to mix in 5.1, but as far as I know, they don't have inputs or DTS/Dolby decoding built in that would allow for playback of commercial DVDa releases.

Add to this the FACT that there are several surround formats. so 6 channels may not be enough for all surround projects! What if you buy the set-up for 5.1, then need to do a 6.1 or 7.1 project? You would have to start all over again. I wouldn't be happy about that!

Maybe I'm making this harder than it really has to be. If you can shed some light, please do.