View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Upgrade Digi 003 rack?

First, I would check if your sound from you guitar is fine (yes I read that you have a quality guitar). Is there hum when you play through a guitar amp? If your guitar has single coil pickups, that is known to generate hum. That is why double coil pickups are called "Humbuckers," to defeat the 60 Hertz hum found in single coil pickups. You may need a noise gate or noise suppressor pedal to control the hum when not playing. Is the tone of your guitar to your liking? I'm talking about the unprocessed clean tone through a good sounding clean amp. If not, you need to see what can be done there first. There is an interaction of your guitar plugged into an amplifier that loads the pickups and affects the sound. Plugging your guitar into an interface does not load the pickup the same way. Then check your signal chain. Are you using any pedals, DI, preamps, etc.? Are you running long cable lengths? You may need a buffer to and from your pedalboard. What are you using as monitors for your Protools setup. Small reference monitors don't necessarily sound like four 12" Celestion speakers in a Marshall cab. As you can see, there are many factors affecting your tone, so take your time and evaluate each component to eliminate the cause. When in doubt, simplify your setup.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1