View Single Post
Old 11-11-2002, 02:22 PM

Default Thinking about jumping ship: Mac to WinXp- good or bad?

Hi! I currently have an HD3 system running on my Mac G4 Duall-800M machine. I don't do any commercial work, it is strictly for my own use, and for close friends wanting to do demo work. (near fatal accident payed for it- yin and yang at work I guess...)
My dilema is this: I have used a windows/dos based computer for years (since '91). I currently have 3 Win-based PC's, a Win-based laptop, and one Mac, my first at that. I am very comfortable on a Win machine, troubleshooting is a breeze. Win XP pro has been golden for me. I run multiple app's constantly, a few being processor hogs. No problems.
Now that Windows finally has a decent version of their OS, and being unfamiliar with Mac's in general, I am thinking of selling the Mac and getting a new PC, dual processor with Win XP Pro, and putting my HD3 into it. I am looking for your opinions of the pro's and con's for this. I am running PT, along with the plug-in pack that came with it, RTAS Autotune, and the Waves Gold TDM pack (recent update says compatible with Win XP HD systems).
Pros:
1] I am very comfortable with Windows OS, Mac is a struggle- I have invented new forms of popular 4-letter words due to this [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
2] Upgrading a Win-puter is MUCH easier and far cheaper than a Mac (can't replace a processor in a Mac, that I know of)
3] Win XP does dual processors (although soon-to-be-available OS-X PT6 will do duals on Mac???)
4] I have an MBox, and with the PT-Le coming for it, transfer of scratch tracks and such from one Win-puter to another is a breeze.
5] Bucking the trend and going with the underdog in the music "industry" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Cons:
1] Digi is a step behind here. PT6 projected for a Dec. release for Mac(true?), but Win XP is not due 'til a warmer season in 2003...
2] Plug-in availability...grrr...
3] No direct-connect. I use Battery, Reason, etc...
4] Not many Win XP-based HD users vs. ???? Mac users.
5] Must hire a lawyer and comedian to come up with comebacks to all the Mac users when confronted [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
6] MOTU will not accept my bribes to jump ship with DP 4 [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] lol...
I am really serious though. With a house of Win-puter users, house is wired with cat5e, the Mac stands alone. Even back in the Apple and Apple II days, I was more comfy on my TRS-80. OK- maybe the Apple II swayed me a little...
Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi(s)- you're my only hope...
Nikki [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.