View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 AM

Default Re: new pro tools is not as good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lambrechts View Post
Well - interesting post you made there mightyduck and I'm not even thinking of getting in a technical discussion with you on some of the stuff you are insinuating.

Mainly - I admit - because my technical knowledge of that stuff is simply not good enough to get into an educated discussion about it.

There have been tons of floating versus fixed versus bits discussions all over the internet. Most of them give me a headache by the end of page 27. But overall the consensus is that 32 float is the way forward.

That said - have you actually listened / used the system is 32 bit float ?
I personally find it a lot easier to stay out of clipping trouble for example

I think you underestimate what the extra headroom can do for you in the real world - not just on paper :

Here's an example I just found on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt-EJhDDHUI

Chris

Yeah, I've listened to a gazilion 32 bit float host based systems. They are all basically the same since they are based on apple's 32 bit scheme, which is not really designed for audio, but, rather, for general computing. The "new" system is no different in that respect than the same old thing they've been using in pro tools le since magellan's time.

Respectfully, that you find it "easier to stay out of clipping trouble" in a 32 bit system is not a valid reason. That's just about basic engineering skills. Its not difficult to keep from clipping if you understand and use proper gain staging. Even 24 bits is a huge dynamic range, far beyond what humans can tolerate. Also, using 32 bits' extended dynamic range to "go way into the red" without clipping will inevitably create other problems. That's one reason why the metering on host based systems still reads as if it were a fixed point system.