View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Digi-Why was tiger better then Leo using all cores?

In the same boat here with a Dual 2.7 PPC and Accel 2.

It's such a lot of money to go up to PCIe and all that we are getting is increased VI performance. (yeah I know that means a great deal to some)

Like others on this list I am not complaining as my rig has served me well and those Accel cards are the best purchase I ever made.

It's more about a workflow I think.
I don't need to have a bunch of VI's running all the time. I do rely on them heavily but I just print them and keep the raw track deactivated.
It's really no hardship. The trick is to commit to a part and move on. If you have to come back and change it you can.
Some VI's don't tax the CPU much. RMX and Addictive Drums are great and I just leave that running all the time.(same with Superior 2)
Omnisphere is ok if you only have 1 and maybe use 4 channels.

The other day I discovered that I had forgotten to print my Omnisphere tracks and the rig was chugging along just fine with RMX, Omnisphere and a bunch of API RTAS plugs and ....yes.........even a Maserati Guit Plug.

So I agree that it's not the end of the road for everyone who is running a G5.
It seems to really affect those who want to keep a bunch of VI's running in one session.
If you can work around that then there's plenty of life left in the old girl.

Damn I just got used to thinking that my machine was a new shiny "king of the hill" powerful beast.
Then those dirty rotten Intel Machines came and kicked sand in her face.