View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 12:32 PM

Default Re: MOTU 24i/o 24-bit/96 kHz pciE converter

thanks for the continued responses... i'll have a look through those test results gEtz76

you're dead on the money as far as folks being gear-whores... hhaha... thats what i'm trying to avoid by doing research early...

for the most part, my OMni HD will be plenty, as mentioned i'm rather comfortable with a solid work ethic and over-dubbing.... all i need in the 1st pass is drums and bass... typically 6 drum tracks n' 2 bass {one D.I. so i can toss it through my 11R at mix time}... everything else gets done one very juicy track at a time... different mics n' such are always a good thing but with guitars n' such, all i need is 2 tracks at a time, again... 11R is an invaluable tool in the studio..

therefore... an I/o with more than 12 tracks is only useful to me when i absolutely need to get a full band all in one go and even then... i try to make sure everything is isolated properly as most musicians will find they still wanna over-dub a diff. take when mixing begins.. i can do better, always seems to happen... heheh...

lucky for me my mix location is low over-head so i have no issues with this at all.. i prefer it actually..

as far as firewire vs pciE... latency is the big killer... specially if i'm running 16 tracks A/D on one go... best believe the talent will want effects on their mix.. and everybody likes something different.. i completely understand that... i've tried the whole firewire thing and i never had luck with it... always something... some-one is always unhappy... so yeh for me at least... it needs to be super low latency and the mixing engine needs to take the load off my CPU...

i do not mind having to switch units on projects.. honestly i doubt it will be a need all that often... from what i keep hearing, and this is across the board.. i will have no issues with the conversion quality of my HD OMNI,...

as always.. plenty of research still... thanks for the continued support...

yes Tom i can see what you mean by the HDX system... its def. in my sights.. which is exactly why i dont wanna blow a tonne of dough on interfaces
I may not even need in my particular setup... it would be great to have DSP mixing on hand... as I mix ITB